Are Water Lilies Poisonous? (Definitive Answer)

This post may contain affiliate links

Water lilies make great pond plants, but are Water lilies poisonous? They can enhance the beauty of your home and provide many other benefits for your aquatic environment. You should be concerned if your pets, or any other animals, are accessing ponds filled with lilies. All varieties of lilies are poisonous after that.

Water lilies (Nymphaea spp.) They are the perfect finishing touch for any garden pool or pond. They are used by fish as shelters from the summer sun and hiding spots from predators. You will spend less time maintaining the pool if the plants you plant in the pond keep it clean and fresh. Let’s learn how to grow water lilies.

There are two varieties of water lily plants:

  • Hardy – Water lilies Hardy varieties are ideal for northern climates where winter water freezes. They will return next spring as long as their roots are not below the freezing point of the water.
  • Tropical – Tropical water Lilies cannot survive in cold water. They must be brought inside for winter in any area other than the warmest. Many growers consider them annuals and replant them each year. If they are not in the pond, you can take them out and clean them. Then, store them in a bucket with moist sand in the basement until the first freeze. You can further divide tropical water lily plants into two groups: night and day plants. The white night flowers are stunning when only the moonlight illuminates them. However, blue, purple and red are difficult to see in darkness. These colors should be avoided unless artificial lighting is used at night.
See also  How Often to Water Pothos Plant (Full Guide)

Horses and humans are not at risk from water lilies. They can be toxic to dogs and cats. Remember that the degree of toxicity depends on how much of the plant is consumed and the percentage of the plant eaten, among other factors.

Before you start pulling out these gorgeous plants, it is important to understand the dangers of water lilies. You should also understand how they can affect pets, animals, and the aquatic environment.

We have collected all information about water lilies, and how they impact different organisms.

Are Water Lilies Poisonous?Pin

Are Water Lilies Poisonous?

Water lilies Dangers

The poisonous nature of water lilies is well-known around the globe. Some species, like the Easter lily and the Japanese lily and the star Lilium, can be very poisonous and even deadly if swallowed by pets or animals.

Are water lilies as dangerous as their namesakes, or are they? Yes and no. Water lilies do not have real lilies, they just have the name “lily”. Most of them aren’t poisonous. It is however known that certain species, such as yellow and tuberous waterlilies, can be poisonous.

Here are some examples of how aquatic plants can impact humans and other animals.

Are water lilies Poisonous for dogs?

Dogs are unlikely to be harmed by water lilies, except for the poisonous ones. If your dog ingests too many of these herbs it can cause a toxic reaction. This could lead to vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy among other symptoms.

Are water lilies Poisonous for cats?

Cats and real lilies do not mix. Some ordinary garden lilies can even be poisonous to cats. Water lilies are a different story.

Fishponds are generally safe for cats. Some fishponds may contain toxic substances that can cause stomach upset, vomiting, sore throat and other reactions, if swallowed.

Are water lilies Poisonous for horses?

Water lilies aren’t poisonous because they aren’t real lilies. You should be cautious when giving horses water from a pond containing lilies, as some species can contain toxic substances.

See also  How Long do Rosemary Plants Live? (Lifespan + Tips to Live Longer)

You should ensure that a specific species isn’t toxic to your pet. If in doubt, consult your veterinarian.

Are water lilies Poisonous for humans?

How about humans? Are you concerned for your children’s safety when it comes to water lilies? Other than poisonous water lilies there are many other species in these ponds that aren’t known to be hazardous.

Some even have therapeutic uses, including edible foods and medicines for sore throats or diarrhea.

Share the image below to your Pinterest board to save this article!

Are Water Lilies Poisonous?Pin

Summary

Lilies are toxic and it is better to be safe than sorry when it comes to your children, pets, or animals. Most water lilies aren’t dangerous. Some species can be poisonous. Even the most harmless species can be poisonous.

You shouldn’t, however, throw them away. Because they maintain balance in the ecosystem, water lilies can be very helpful. They can also be visually attractive and add beauty to your home. Some species can be used for medicine and food.

I hope you’ve found this article on water lilies useful, and if you have any questions or concerns, please share your thoughts in the comments section!

Disclaimer: Garden24h contains information that is not intended to be used for veterinary or medical advice. You should immediately seek medical attention if your pet or child has consumed something that could be poisonous.

Leave a Comment

1
Share to...